Tuesday, July 21, 2009

on the top of the bus?

Leaving Kathmandu was so fun!!! The city is really incredible, very cosmopolitan and affluent. But the nature in Nepal is something else. We took a short bus ride out to the mountains in Nagarkot and stayed in a grody, moldy hotel room. Three to a bed. And had a blast. The best part was coming back into town and riding on the roof of the bus through the twists and turns of the mountain. Ahhh. At first, I was holding on for dear life. But the fact is, riding those buses is no safe from the inside. There are no rails on the edge of the cliffs and the drivers speed up and down the mountains like hellfire. Well, if I am going to fear for my life, I am at least going to enjoy a nice view! And its cheaper.

I had the most unpleasant, but useful conversation with a Ukrainian girl on the top of the bus. Her first remark after hearing that I was from the U.S. was. "You know there are two kinds of people the world hates: Chinese and Americans" Now, now, now. I know that the world has a poor impression of my country. And honestly, I know better than most the failures of the American way. But I have never felt so defensive about it. I am now traveling with an Australian, so I am kind of own my own as far as defending America goes. My god. I am the worst candidate for that job. But what I really have a hard time with is this idea that people around the world, by and large, don't make a distinction between me and the actions of "my" government. On one hand, it's frustrating that these people can't see the humanity that exists behind every government. But what is even worse, is that that Americans do so little to redeem our country. You don't meet too many Americans out here. But those that I have met, have been by and large, rude and obnoxious. They define the stereotype of Americans. And make it even harder for me to dispel some of the misconceptions of that country that voted Bush in two times in a row.

Although it sounds damn cheesy, the only thing I can do with people who tell me to my face that my country sucks- that it is evil and ruining mankind- is be patient with them. To hear them out and attempt to have a real conversation about is to project an air of diplomacy that our country desperately needs. Because it makes a difference, if I am the only American the meet in the next year - they are going to remember how I carried myself. I had a man rip me on the Iraq War today and I just nodded my head and tried to be in agreement. In most cases, that's the best I can do. Trying to explain my own gripes with the American government is more than broken English can handle! Being in a situation where people are immediately judging you for your nationality is pretty humbling. I have something to prove here. So if you were wondering - I didn't throw that Ukrainian girl off the top of that bus.

No comments: